Adjustment disorder is an abnormal and excessive reaction to an identifiable life stressor. The reaction is more severe than would normally be expected and can result in significant impairment in social, occupational, or academic functioning.
An identifiable stressful life event or life change that occurred within the previous three months is must to be diagnosed with adjustment problem.
In this modern age of competitions & complexities, it is very common to develop adjustment problem on any stressful challenges of life.
Also, the severity of stress that can lead to adjustment problem varies from person to person. Appointment of new boss who is strict in your office, death of your beloved one, shift from one home to another after marriage, change of school, financial debt, relational breakage, demotion and promotion in job etc are few common trigger for adjustment failure here in India.
- Adjustment disorder with depressed mood
- Adjustment disorder with anxiety
- Adjustment disorder with mixed anxiety and depressed mood
- Adjustment disorder with disturbance of conduct
- Adjustment disorder with mixed disturbance of emotions and conduct
- Unspecified adjustment disorder (problematic thinking and behavior that is not classifiable by the other adjustment disorder sub-types
Symptoms of adjustment disorder vary according to the sub-type. You may experience one or more of the following symptoms if you have adjustment disorder: